In consideration of the expanding outbreak of COVID-19, we are taking extra measures at the Spring Fire Department to keep both our personnel and our community safe and healthy. The best way to protect everyone from COVID-19 is to avoid being exposed to the virus. All SFD facilities are closed to the public until further notice. We discontinued non-employee use of all SFD facilities, training with outside agencies, attendance of community events and will be keeping contact with the public to a minimum. We will be reassessing this situation frequently and update as needed. We continue to respond to all emergency calls for service while following the CDC recommended protocols.
To protect yourself from COVID-19, avoid being exposed to the virus and use every day preventative actions to avoid spread. What you can do:
- Wash your hands often
- Cover your cough
- Stay home when sick
- Exercise social distancing of 6+ feet
For more information: http://www.cdc.gov/COVID19
Links to more information:
- Centers for Disease Control Downloadable Guidelines: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/03.16.20_coronavirus-guidance_8.5x11_315PM.pdf
- Harris County Public Health Department: http://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/
- For veterans: https://www.publichealth.va.gov/n-coronavirus/
- For tax information from the IRS: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus
- For Texas Department of Health: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus
- For Harris County Community Assistance: https://csd.harriscountytx.gov/Pages/default.aspx
- For additional information on how to stay healthy, visit coronavirus.gov
- Ready Harris – https://www.readyharris.org/
- What to do if you are infected: http://blog.memorialhermann.org/7-steps-to-take-after-a-virus-has-hit-your-home/
Local School Resources:
- Aldine ISD: https://www.aldineisd.org/healthalerts/
- Klein ISD: https://kleinisd.net/teaching_learning/special_programs/health_services_nurses/coronavirus_virus_information
- Spring ISD: https://www.springisd.org/coronavirus
- Lone Star College: http://www.lonestar.edu/coronavirus
- Answering Kids’ Questions About The Coronavirus – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsKQPqpS7A
Fun, Educational Things to Do with Kids Online
- http://www.abcya.com – Educational games by category.
- http://www.ageoflearning.com/programs – ABC Mouse is s offering online activities with the free code: SCHOOL7771
- https://www.chesskid.com/ – Learn chess and play online with other kids.
- https://www.coolmathgames.com/ – A website of fun, free educational games that can be accessed via app or PC
- https://crazyeasystem.com/google-sheets-activities-for-kids/ – Learning with Google sheets
- https://family.gonoodle.com/ – Go Noodle offers movement games and videos for kids
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/445786889466638/ – A Facebook group with educational resources for teachers and parents.
- https://www.funbrain.com/ – K-8 free short computer games for children that can be enjoyed with family, connected to education and children’s popular media.
- http://www.highlightskids.com – Highlight Kids is a service of Highlight magazine
- https://www.historyforkids.net/ – Have fun learning history with online games.
- https://houstonpbs.pbslearningmedia.org/ – Houston Public Media Learning website
- http://kids.nationalgeographic.com – Games, quizzes and brain boosters from National Geographic
- https://learnincolor.com – This website introduces you to many fun, educational sites throughout the internet.
- https://mysteryscience.com/school-closure-planning – Fun, grade level appropriate science activities you can do at home.
- https://play.prodigygame.com/ – Fun, online math games.
- https://www.poptropica.com/ – An online game that can be accessed via an app on your phone or tablet or on a PC. This game is for critical thinking, most islands can be solved in an hour or two and can be a fun family activity if parents want to help solve the puzzles.
- https://www.squigglepark.com – Fun reading activities for kid through 8th grade
- http://starfall.com – A pre-K through 3rd grade learning website
- https://www.storylineonline.net – Children’s Stories read by celebrities like Betty White.
- http://www.timeforkids.com – Time for Kids has grade level appropriate articles for kids to read and discuss.
- https://www.typingclub.com/ – Learn to Type with fun games
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-QcZISbFb9EiIEQ41cVhx – The Science Mom has lots of good fun and information
- http://www.wonderopolis.org – Wonderopolis is a website that has thousands of explanations for all those why questions.
- http://www.phonicshero.com – Phonics Hero offers a free, 7 day trial of their reading program.
- https://artsandculture.google.com/ – Google portal that connects articles and archives of thousands of art works, national parks and even museum tours that can be accessed via PC and phone.
- https://learnincolor.com/museums-tour-online-for-free.html – Virtually visit great museums and the International Space Station from home.
- https://naturalhistory.si.edu/visit/virtual-tour – Take a virtual tour of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.